I have a big.. BIG announcement. A contest, actually. But, let’s set this up a little bit first and then I’ll go ahead and spill the beans.
Those of you who know me, know that about a year and a half ago, my wife and I quit smoking, started biking pretty much everywhere, every chance we got, started running and went on a paleo’ish diet. We’ve been getting fitter and losing weight, increasing our miles and getting faster ever since. (..and you can too!).
Personally, I’ve been training for a Marathon recently and now, it’s only two weeks away.
My beginnings were certainly humble; couch to 5k (C25K) program for 10 weeks. Threw in some actual 5k racing and then began working on the 10k program for 12 weeks. Finished that and began racing 5ks AND 10ks. Pressing ever onward, I started a 12 week half-marathon training plan and ran my first half-marathon on Mt. Lemmon with a time of 2:06:00. I never thought I could run 13.1 miles, but taking this approach got me there and with dedication, commitment and hard work.. I did it and it felt great!
Now? After completing a 20 week marathon training course, I decided to join a marathon training group. 26.2 miles is plenty intimidating and I employed the same strategy I used to quit smoking; avail myself of every available support and help possible. So, I joined the Fleet Feet group and have thoroughly enjoyed the close personal coaching, the dedication of my peers, their knowledge and experience, kindness and shared goal. We are a team and it will certainly stand out to me as one of the greatest decisions in running that I have ever made.
But leading up to this, all of those training programs I did almost entirely alone and that was fine too. ‘Almost’ because I used an app on my iPhone (Cyclemeter by Abvio) that had these programs already built in. Each program had a 3-5 day course per week of programming for the given training plan where each day, the voice (of my own choosing and language) would speak to me, “Start”, “Run”, “Walk”, “Average Pace ..”, “One Mile ..”, “Increase Speed”, etc.. etc.
She speaks to me..
The voice would also tell me when someone likes my run and actually read off comments others make to my facebook run status. THIS.. THIS.. THIS.. is fun for me.
You have been clever, witty, encouraging, kind and motivating right out of the blue, while I’m running and while you can’t hear my whispered or hoarse “Thank you’s”, they are there. I appreciate you all so much. So nice to have you there with me on my run.
But I’ve prattled on long enough. On with the show!
This contest will end three days after my marathon on Dec 8th. It will be strictly enforced on the honor system in all aspects and it will work something like this (with revisions as required or requested):
- ‘Like’ my run during the Marathon on December 8th, 2013 and you will receive ONE point. (This will require that you are added to my ‘friends’ list on Facebook; send me a private message with a link to your facebook page and I will send an invite for you to participate – I apologize if this seems in any way like I’m trying to ‘farm’ friends. I’m not and you are more than welcome to forego the contest altogether or just leave after the contest is over; thanks!)
- Comment during my run on December 8th, 2013 at 7am (Arizona TZ) and you will receive FIVE points.
- Donate (on the honor system – let me know to whom and how much) to YOUR favorite charity or cause and you will receive TWO points per dollar donated.
- Bonus points will be awarded leading up to the Marathon on training runs that have the word “BONUS” in the subject or title. (2 points for likes and 5 points for comments).
- Comment points will be closed at the end of the Marathon race itself. (I’ll post a message once I’ve finished signifying the close of the comment-deadline.).
- Likes will be closed on Wednesday, December 11th at 7PM AZ-Time.
- The winner will receive a Southern Arizona Road Runners shirt, shipped to a mailing address provided – completely free.
Message me here on WordPress if you would like to join this contest and if you have any ideas regarding the execution of this contest or any questions, please feel free to contact me in the way that is most convenient for you (WordPress or Facebook).
I can’t wait to hear that voice read off your comments to me, to smile and even laugh like a madman while I’m running in a pack of other runners because you made me do it.